Saturday, June 06, 2009
Back on the road again
While doing some "routine" maintenance on the mule, part of the "get over it process" I found that my local shop failed to reinstall the airbox gasket on the mule... 7000 miles ago! Needless to say running an open air element in the motor is not too good for a lawnmower, much less a modern motorcycle. After my freak-out and cuss down (not really, I was mostly polite) of the local shop I ordered the replacement. While waiting for the part (that has yet to arrive) I visited with the offending shop's GM on Tuesday to discuss this situation. I went well armed with my manual, maintenance records, and a link to the thread on VSRI forum detailing how eas it is to "dust" a motor. In the meantime I was forced to order a K&N filter since my gasket is still MIA. So, I said goodbye to $65.00US and installed the new element and rode straight to the shop for the required tests.
The outcome so far has been positive. The results of the compression / leak down test were: Front cylinder = 147 psi /-2% leak, Rear cylinder =145 psi /-3% leak. The service specs are 114 psi / 7% respectively. I pick the mule up today and barring any (more) damage caused by the shop I should be good to go. Oh, and while dropping the bike off Friday I found the the service manager has been replaced. A lesson for the millennials, being a gifted technician no matter your profession is no substitute for being a dick to your customers! The new guy seems nice.